Saturday, 14 April 2012

Home is whenever I'm with you.


I came across this illustration by Blaine Macdonald, from 1970, and I really love the variety in his line quality, and the loose nature of his work. I decided to use this image as inspiration for my Illustration Friday design for the word 'Return.' As always, I began my process by creating some thumbnails [pictured below]. I used images of suitcases, airplanes, and tickets as representation of returning home. I also working on an image of person returning library books. 


I decided that the image of returning home has stronger meaning and significance for most people, so I continued to develop that idea. 

I also began listening to some songs and looking up lyrics that I could incorporate into my final design. There were a couple that I really loved. The first is the song 'Passenger Seat' by Death Cab for Cutie, and particularly the line 'When you need directions, Then I'll be the guide, For all time.' I also really enjoy the song 'Home' by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and the one line of the chorus that goes, 'Home is whenever I'm with you.' Since I love them both, I am going to be making a couple of companion shirts, that will incorporate similar images, but each including unique lyrics. Here are my thumbnails for my final two designs. Also take a listen to both songs posted below!




After deciding my vision for both shirts, I started creating my final designs in Illustrator. First up, was my shirt using the lyrics from Edward Sharpe. I created a cut-out of a heart using an image of a map, as well as a silhouette of an airplane. To give the airplane more depth, I duplicated the outline a couple of times, and made the lines varying thicknesses for interest. I then added the text, and added a drop shadow in a peach colour to tie it into the map. 


And here's what it would look like on a t shirt!


Next, I worked on my concept for the Death Cab for Cutie lyrics. I wanted the two designs to be similar, so that one would know that they belong together. I did this by using the image of a map in each of them, and by using repetition in each.  I also used sans serif font in each design, and added a drop shadow. 



I hope you've enjoyed my process. I really like how these two t shirts came out! Comments are always welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment